Backing up UNIX Sys V hosts to central Suns

Trevor Wright hrc63!trw at uunet.uu.net
Fri Aug 4 22:34:18 AEST 1989

Having largely sorted out the centralised backup of our 30 odd Suns onto a
central 8mm video tape, we have now received some requests from users of
UNIX System 5 machines (eg ALTOS, Intergraph) to provide them with a
service.

As far as we can see, Sys 5 does not provide 'rdump'-like facilities, and
its dump command cannot take "host:device" type syntax on the destination
argument.

This must be a common problem - any suggestions please.

Trevor Wright
Ops manager
GEC Marconi Research Centre
Gt Baddow