Backing up UNIX Sys V hosts to central Suns

Wm E. Davidsen Jr sixhub!davidsen at crdgw1.ge.com
Sat Aug 19 13:38:53 AEST 1989

The SysV machines should have rcmd, the functional equivalent of the rsh
command. They also have named pipes. Therefore start one job like this:

	cat /dev/rdump.FIFO | rcmd bigsun dd obs=126b of=/dev/rst8

which sucks on the pipe and then sends to dd running on the Sun. Start the
real dump by doing this:

	dump 0ufk /dev/rdump.FIFO 55000 /dev/yourfilesys

Note that the size given dump is suitable for DC600 tapes, change as
needed for your physical devices. I'm actually using this because my tape
drive on a SysV machine is not currently functional.