Disks and extra memory for SparcStation1

Jeff Weber ginosko!cg-atla!weber at uunet.uu.net
Thu Aug 31 06:54:54 AEST 1989

Venky at zip.eecs.umich.edu (Venkateswaran Ramachandran) writes:

>I am in the process of buying a couple of SparcStation-1. I would like to
>know if anyone out there has tried to attach a MAXTOR 760 MB disk drive or
>other non-SUN disks (which are cheaper) on the SCSI bus. Also I have a
>question regarding additional memory. Has third-party memory upgrades been
>successfully done on the SS-1. Can someone mail me the vendors and other
>details?  Thanks in advance Venky
>
>Please e-mail to venky at zip.eecs.umich.edu

I have done the testing and working with US/Design Corp who is owned by
Maxtor.  They have a controller #4220 that has cache (512k or 1M) that
emulates an MD-21 and will support upto four Maxtor 760MB(u) disks.  The
SS1 and 330 both handle the 4220 ok (now) and you can easily futz with the
kernel to see all 4 lun's.  They also have a desk top/side box for it all.

	Phone - (301) 577-2880.

	I've also put 3rd party memory in my SS1.  Works ok fine.

BIG DISCLAIMER: I just work on them.  I don't own a thing except my own
experiences and opinions.