Watchdog reset in SUN 4/110 -- a followup

Stephen Herman sjh at briar.philips.com
Tue Aug 1 00:14:08 AEST 1989

A short while ago I posted a request for help regarding a problem of
"watchdog reset" system aborts on my new SUN 4/110.  The problem appears
to have been fixed.  Here is a summary.

Since I received my SUN 4/110, the machine would grind to a halt with the
message "Watchdog reset" on the console.  This would occur at random times
during the day, sometimes several times each day, sometimes even during
reboot.  Our calls to SUN resulted in a 2-3 week frustrating exercise of
telephone tag, leading for my call for help over the Net.

Once we got through to SUN, things did begin to move.  SUN informed us
that the earlier Watchdog reset problem was cured in later releases of the
SUN OS.  SInce we were running 4.0.3, we should not have experienced it.
Since we were getting the watchdog reset, it was assumed to be a hardware
problem.  They sent us a new mother board, which seemed to have eliminated
the problem.

I received several pieces of E-mail from others who are still experiencing
this watchdog reset.  While I responded to each individually, at the
recommendation of one person I am posting this note.  If you have watchdog
reset problem on your SUN 4/110 try the following:

1) Switch to OS 4.0.3

2) Send me E-mail and I will mail you a series of messages which tell
how to change the trap.o module in earlier versions of the OS and how
to perform some trouble shooting.

3) Contact your SUN rep.  I am detecting a new awareness at SUN of the
need to get their act together after the poor performance of the last
few months.  Even those who were frustrated recently, may start getting
better sevice now.

Stephen Herman
Philips Labs
Briarcliff Manor, NY