screendump part of Sun screen, etc.

Tim Pointing tim at dretor.dciem.dnd.ca
Tue Aug 1 00:29:20 AEST 1989

In Sun-Spots v8n82, mom!nova!hart at cs.utexas.edu (Howard C. Hart) writes:
> [about "dumpregion"]
> Some gotchas to watch for are:
>
>1) You need to set the -8bit_color_only option on suntools for 3/60 color
>machines. The overlay plane gets saved instead of the color image if you
>don't.

A kludge added by "CU at STL" in the version that I picked up allows the use
of an environment variable ("FRAMEBUFFER") to override the default
"/dev/fb" framebuffer to dump (FRAMEBUFFER should be set to "/dev/cgfour0"
on a 3/60C.) A better way would be the "standard" way that Sun
applications do it: use a "-f" option on the command line. The best way
might be to look at the "overlay enable" plane and choose the colour or
monochrome planes based on this (on a pixel-by-pixel basis.)

>As for printing Sun rasterfiles [....]
>you'll need a sun rasterfile to tiff convertor
>which I've got (or PICT convertor (or Postscript convertor? have'nt tried
>this yet but might be possible), something to trim the image from 8 bits
>per pixel to 1 bit per pixel if you've got a color machine, [....]

Available in the sun-sources archive on titan.rice.edu is "psraster"
(don't for get to get both the original source and the patch!) This is a
wonderful little program which, will handle 8-bit deep rasters and the
conversion from Sun rasterfile format to Postscript. It has (as far as I
could tell) all of the functionality of pssun and more. Try it, you'll
like it!

        Tim Pointing, DCIEM
	{decvax,attcan,watmath,...}!utzoo!dciem!tim
        uunet!csri.toronto.edu!dciem!tim or nrcaer!dciem!tim
	tim%ben at zorac.dciem.dnd.ca or tim at dretor.dciem.dnd.ca