Adding Memory to 3/60 or 3/80

Jeff Weber ginosko!cg-atla!weber at uunet.uu.net
Mon Aug 21 01:00:14 AEST 1989

In article <707 at brazos.Rice.edu> dialogic!gerry at uunet.uu.net (Gerry Lachac) writes:

>The Situation:
>
>We just installed a 3/60 as a small fileserver.  We ordered 4 extra megs
>from our supplier who graciously gave us a "price break" from $2500 to
>$1500, installation included.

	Stuffa Deleta...

>it was 4 1-meg SIMMs (80 ns).  At $1500?  Is there something special about
>them?  (Prices in back of PCweek list the same SIMMs for $190 each)

	Morea stuffa Deleta..

>As far as I can tell you drop the SIMMs in (4 meg increments) and move
>a jumper (same as ethernet jumper).  Am I on the right track?

 Well yes and no.  Putting memory in the 3/60 is pretty straight forward.
Just add more memory in the slots behind the existing memory and "adjust"
the jumpers to reflect the current installed amount of memory.  Don't
forget to set the numbers in EEPROM via the ROM monitor too.

Putting memory in the 3/80 is about the same except the slots are in TWO
banks and the expansion memory does not fill the slots in a straight
forward manner like the 3/60.  The manual for the 3/80 is wrong too.
Follow the TEXT on putting in more memory and ignore the picture, its
totally wrong.

Finally, memory for a 3/60 will NOT work in a 3/80.  All SIMMS are NOT
created equal.   Also I think that if you look at the memory in your 3/60
that came from Sun you'll find that is 120ns or maybe 100ns but NOT 80ns.
You've paid a primmy price for speed you can't use if you have 80ns.

Try CLEARPOINT.  We've had real good luck with them.  They maybe a touch
higher than the other big Sun memory vendors but their product and service
seems to much better.

							Jeff

BIG DISCLAIMER: I have ZERO connection with CLEARPOINT and these OPINIONS
are strictly MY OWN....