xy: cannot exec first read

Frank Heath earth!heath%sunkist.West at sun.com
Sat Aug 12 08:09:37 AEST 1989

I encountered that problem on my first reboot following a 4.0 to 4.0.3
upgrade.  Needless to say I was freaked. It can be very persistent.
Alternate files do not seem to effect it. I think in has something to do
with the 4.0.3 boot code.  After upgrading we had multiple power failures,
smashed / and /usr, so we had to go back to 4.0 temporarily. We had no
xy:.. problems until we got back to 4.0.3.

Our Sun rep seems to think its physical problem with the drive not being
able to do the seek the first time.  This has some plausibility but I
think there is some 4.0.3 tie in.

Frank S. Heath
Rockwell SPD
4311 Jamboree Road