Comments on Exabyte software from APUNIX?

John Sambrook john at amc.com
Thu Aug 17 07:08:33 AEST 1989

We have an Exabyte 8mm drive connected to a Sun 3/50 running SunOS3.5 and
have been using it for a couple of months to do dumps of ~ 50 other
systems (Suns and Vaxes).  We have hacked together some scripts that
facilitate this process, but in general it isn't terribly robust.

I've received some information from APUNIX on their software products that
would probably be of use to us.  They can supply a SCSI driver that better
supports the 8mm drives, as well as an application "mdump" that is also
optimized for the 8mm drives.  Unfortunately, their literature doesn't
provide a lot of information on these products.

I'd like to know if other people are using these products, and if they
are, how they like them.  I'm most concerned that the products be
reliable, work well in a network of reasonable size, be robust in the face
of problems, and be reasonably efficient.

Please send mail and I will summarize.

Thanks,

John Sambrook                             DNS: john at amc.com
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc-gw!john
Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000 ext. 630