SUN Transcript

John Richardson jrich at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Wed Aug 23 23:05:22 AEST 1989

In article <720 at brazos.Rice.edu> apctrc!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) writes:

>Installables HAVE to go in
>/usr/tran/`arch`/{bin,lib}.  You can't change this without symlinks.
>Installation changes even your edits back.
>
>Given the move to /share for sharing things, I am surprised that they
                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
>force this on you.  I had the binaries installed in /usr/local/bin before
>and made a symlink to fix them back.  Some of the lib files are
>architecture dependent, but I would think that the fonts would be
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>sharable.  (I think they are, but may change in the future).
 ^^^^^^^^

It was very un-Sun-like the way Transcript's software architecture is set
up.

When I was installing Transcript, I compared the Sun3 and Sun4 fonts and
they were identical EXCEPT for what appeared to be a magic number.
Consequently, I ended up installing both versions, although it seems like
a waste of space.  At that point, I was frustrated from trying to work
around the first issue, and didn't feel like experimenting to find out
whether that small difference was significant or not.

/usr/tran/sparc/lib/troff.font/Courier/ftB:	sparc executable
/usr/tran/mc68020/lib/troff.font/Courier/ftB:	mc68020 executable
John Richardson, System Administrator   Internet: jrich at ucrmath.ucr.edu
Dept. of Math & Computer Science        uucp: {ucsd, uci, ucdavis}!ucrmath!jrich
Univ. of California, Riverside          phone: (714) 787-3236