SUN Transcript

Jon A. Tankersley apctrc!zjat02 at uunet.uu.net
Sun Aug 6 06:27:05 AEST 1989

Transcript 2.1 is what you want with 4.x.  It is a different beast from
the older version. What was especially surprising was the major shift
between 2.1Pilot and 2.1FCS.  Pilot allowed me to place things where
wanted.  FCS imposed it's own ideas.  Installables HAVE to go in
/usr/tran/`arch`/{bin,lib}.  You can't change this without symlinks.
Installation changes even your edits back.

Given the move to /share for sharing things, I am surprised that they
force this on you.  I had the binaries installed in /usr/local/bin before
and made a symlink to fix them back.  Some of the lib files are
architecture dependent, but I would think that the fonts would be
sharable.  (I think they are, but may change in the future).

GKS output works.  You may have to fix the output file to place the %! as
the	first two chars of the file.  I think that was/is a feature of the
GKS output but I may be wrong.

Screendump........   Works and works well.  It just takes forever to
print.  It can take between 1-8 minutes to print at 9600 baud.  Not sure
if a faster connection will speed that up or not.  A versatec will be done
by the time you get out of your chair and walk to it!  I'd recommend a
Versatec for the quick&dirty plots and save the LW for when you need a
finished output.  Or look at some other screen acquire printers.  Of
course both the Versatec and the LW are black and white :-).

-tank-
#include <std/disclaimer.h>		/* nobody knows the trouble I .... */
tank at apctrc.trc.amoco.com    ..!uunet!apctrc!tank