Is SunOS/386i available for clone hardware?

Tim Wood mtxinu!binky.sybase.com!tim at ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 23 06:06:02 AEST 1989

Does anyone know whether SunOS can be licenced for use on clone (i.e.
non-Sun, non-PS/2) 386 hardware?  If so, have any of you done it and how
did it turn out?

I really like SunOS functionality & robustness. I want to avoid SysV, and
especially don't want to deal with the many grungy problems people have
reported in unix.i386 about Vendor A's UNIX + Vendor B's CPU + Vendor C's
devices NOT WORKING jointly or severally.  However, Sun386i's continue to
be priced well above clone hardware + SCO SysV (for example).   Is this
the price of a single-vendor supported solution?  Thanks, -Tim

Sybase, Inc. / 6475 Christie Ave. / Emeryville, CA / 94608	  415-596-3500
tim at sybase.com          {pacbell,pyramid,sun,{uunet,ucbvax}!mtxinu}!sybase!tim
Voluntary disclaimer: This message is solely my personal opinion.
		      It is not a representation of Sybase, Inc.  OK.