Upgrading to Sun OS 4.0.3

John Eadie c-art!jae at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Mon Aug 14 03:03:06 AEST 1989

In article <155 at brazos.Rice.edu> GELD at mail.physics.lsa.umich.edu (Jonathan Geld) writes:

>Recently we received from Sun OS version 4.0.3 upgrade kits.   We have had
>the 4.0 kit for a while now but have delayed upgrading due to all the bad
>reports we have heard about bugs and problems with OS 4.0 and 4.0.1.
>
>We are currently running OS v. 3.2 and are seriously considering upgrade.
>What I would like to know is if anyone has some caveats to look out for
>that might stop us from upgrading.  We have a 3/160 running as a server
>for 13 3/50's.  The server has 8MB of memory while the clients all have 4
>MB of memory and are diskless.  I seem to recall reading that 4 MB of
>memory might not be enough to run OS 4.0.x well, if so just how bad are
>the slow-downs with respect to 3.x?  Also, since the clients are all

I have a 3/60FC and I just moved from 3.5 to 4.0.3.  I gave myself 32MB
disk space for a product called leonardo (big rasterfiles), and have had,
at times, disasterous slowdowns.  The OS seems very solid, and is nicer in
many ways, but I'm goin to have to buy at least double the 4MB I currently
am crawling with.  Occasionally.  ('Frinstance, when I get a submission to
a mailing list of 35.)

>diskless, is there a significant increase in ethernet traffic under 4.0.x?

More later when I get 4.0.3 up on a 3/160C & 3/50 in the next couple of
days ...

-john

John Eadie  Computing Art Inc  (416) 536-9951
E-Mail: jae at c-art.UUCP | {uunet,suncan}!c-art!jae | sun!jeadie

`The aphorist, bending over the stream of language, found in it
his own image:  but the hump did not show, and his face, its traces
of suffering softened by the ripples of water, was framed in trees
and blue sky' .. Georg Cristoph Lictenberg