Exabyte and Sparcstation

Matthias Kandler kandler%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de%tub at uunet.uu.net
Mon Aug 14 18:14:46 AEST 1989

I have run into a problem whith the Exabyte drive on a Sparcstation-1
(SunOs 4.0.3c). Has anyone used the Exabyte with this machine? To my
experience it doesn't work, at least with the sun st driver (and that is
all I have :-().

The Exabyte is connected to SCSI as target 4. There is also a CDC Wren V
disk as target 0 on the bus. During boot I get: .  st0 at esp0 target 4
lun 0 st0: unsupported drive found- ignored

If I do 'dd if=/dev/rst0 of=/dev/null' I get the unfriendly response:
	 st0: unsupported drive found- ignored
 	 dd: open: /dev/rst0: No such device or address

I can't believe that Exabyte is intended to be unsupported because in
'/* @(#)stdef.h       1.18 89/04/06 Copyr 1987 Sun Micro */' I found the
lines:
			.
			.
 * Supported tape device types plus default type for opening.
			.
			.
#define ST_TYPE_EXABYTE		0x28	/* Exabyte */
			.

So, what is going wrong? And why?
Plese help! Your ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, where does SunOs 4.0.3c hide the eeprom command?
And, does anyone know how to reset the boot-PROM of the Sparcstation-1 to its
defaults by hardware. 'eeprom' is a very dangerous command if this is not
possible!

Matthias Kandler  Inst. f. Informatik     LOC=lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de
                  TU Muenchen             kandler at LOC
                  Postfach 20 24 20       kandler%LOC@{unido.uucp,relay.cs.net}
                  D-8000 Muenchen 2       Telefon: (089) 2105 2025