Prototyping & Graphical Packages for Sun 4s

ed gokhman esg at mtqua.att.com
Tue Aug 15 01:10:23 AEST 1989

applications development packages" I have received a number of
suggestions. However, these suggestions usually were not uniformly
pointing in the same direction, so I would like to request people that
have experience with the following packages on Suns, particularly Sun 4s,
to send me their impressions, observations, etc. Just to remind you, we
are developing a package that requires lifelike 2D/3D graphics, including
a build-in interactive editor, with capability for animation/modeling,
plus symbolic graphical hierarchy-like structure editor, plus usual
wifgets-based user interface.

Prototyping environments:

	- SL-GMS from Sherrill-Lubinski
	- Wavefront Toolkit by Wavefront Technologies
	- DataViews by V.I. Corporation
	- BLOX from Rubel Software and Template by Megatek
	- Anything else you may recommend

Graphical Environments:

	- HOOPS by Ithaca Software
	- DI-3000 XPM by Precision Visuals
	- Dore by Ardent Computer Corporation
	- Sun'sGKS and PHIGS implementations
	- Anything else you may suggest

I also got some controversial suggestions on evolving standards and
equivalents. So, please also send me your comments on (comparative)
impressions on

	- OSF/Motif for Sun
	- Open Look
	- X11/NeWS
	- X Window for Sun
	- SunView

And, finally, I would very much appreciate if you could point me to
articles reviewing the software above for Suns, in particular.

I will post the responses, if there is an interest.

					Thanx in advance,
					Ed Gokhman,
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					att!mtqua!esg