fsck doesn't check all filesystems

Jason Heirtzler jdh at bu-it.bu.edu
Wed Feb 1 23:02:11 AEST 1989

Has anyone noticed that fsck sometimes only checks the root partition
(xy0a) when you boot multi-user ?  This has gotten me into trouble, when
we starting using filesystems that weren't clean.

The queer part is if you boot single-user and fsck manually with "fsck -p"
sometimes it will check all the filesystems - and sometimes it won't !  To
wit:

	> b -s
	[ boot stuff .. ]
	using xxx buffers..
	# /etc/fsck -p
	[ checks only xy0a ]
	# /etc/fsck -p
	[ checks all partitions - on both disks! ]
	# ^D
	Multiuser startup in progress...

The system in question is a Sun-3/180 SunOS 3.5 with a Xylogics 451
controller and two single eagle drives.  I haven't seen this on any other
of our Suns.

Jason Heirtzler
Boston University
Software Support