fsck doesn't check all filesystems

Bill Mitchell sunquest!whm at uunet.uu.net
Thu Feb 16 08:03:00 AEST 1989

jdh at bu-it.bu.edu (Jason Heirtzler) writes:

> Has anyone noticed that fsck sometimes only checks the root partition
> (xy0a) when you boot multi-user ?  This has gotten me into trouble, when
> we starting using filesystems that weren't clean.

I've seen something similar: Just after we brought up 4.0 an fsck -p
didn't check a couple of the filesystems it was supposed to.  As I recall,
we verified that the associated /etc/fstab entries indicated that the
filesystems should be checked.  We tried to reproduce the bug, but
couldn't.  We recounted this to Sun and after a day they got back to us
and suggested that we check the /etc/fstab entries...  We asked if they'd
file it as a suspected bug, but they refused.

Has anyone else ever seen this?

Bill Mitchell				whm at sunquest.com
Sunquest Information Systems		sunquest!whm at arizona.edu
Tucson, AZ 				{arizona,uunet}!sunquest!whm
602-885-7700