SunView question: positioning parts of a slider

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Wed Feb 15 03:30:34 AEST 1989

> A slider item consists of 4 parts: the bar itself, the label, the value,
> and the range (the min and max values).  Can someone tell me if it's
> possible to position these four parts individually?

Unfortunately, you are stuck with the layout determined by the SunView
implementers.  There are many shortcomings with sliders, including an
inability to represent real numbers, and (I think) incorrectly setting the
slider position when dealing with a small range of values.  I think you
are forced to do all the custom positioning yourself.

Incidentally, it is not hard to implement a slider yourself with a few
message items containing the values and a pixrect that understands click
and drag events.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation