SunView question: positioning parts of a slider

Mark Phillips mbp at lakisis.umd.edu
Wed Feb 15 03:50:45 AEST 1989

Thanks for the slider info.  As it turns out, I solved the problem some
time ago (the delay with submissions to Sun-Spots is really long!)  by
setting PANEL_SHOW_VALUE to FALSE and using a separate message item, which
gets updated with every call to the slider's notify proc, to display the
slider's value.  I set PANEL_NOTIFY_LEVEL to PANEL_ALL so the value gets
updated whenever the slider is moved.

This actually works very nicely, and I'm using it to implement a slider
which essentially is real-valued.  Of course, internally, the slider's
value is really an integer, but I can display it in whatever format I
want, which in my case is 1/10 of the value.  So my slider takes values
between 1.0 and 2.0.

>       Incidentally, it is not hard to implement a slider yourself
>  with a few message items containing the values and a pixrect that
>  understands click and drag events.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could define new items like this, and
attributes for them (like a typedef), and then create and manipulate them
with panel_create_item, panel_set, etc, just like all the "built-in" item?
But then again, wouldn't a lot of things be nice...!!

	--Mark

[[ The Sun-Spots delay varies.  Notice that this particular message took 5
days including a weekend.  I'm trying to keep it as small as possible (but
things tend to conspire against me).  --wnl ]]