ie0: lost interrupt: resetting

Jim Rudolf rudolf at oce.orst.edu
Thu Feb 16 07:02:12 AEST 1989

I vaguely remember seeing this discussion somewhere before.  My apologies
if it has already been run into the ground.

We have two 3/280 servers running SunOS 3.5.  Almost on a weekly basis,
usually during a period of moderate net activity, one of the servers will
start spewing forth with:

	ie0: lost interrupt: resetting

If this starts happening, we'll generally start getting a few of these too:

	NFS getattr failed for server neptune: RPC: Timed out

Quoting from the man page:
     ie%d: lost interrupt: resetting
          The driver and 82586  chip  have  lost  synchronization
          with  each  other.   The  driver  recovers by resetting
          itself and the chip.

Our ethernet boards must not have read the man pages, because the affected
board does not recover by itself.  When this happens, the server is pretty
much hung up, and the only effective solution we've come up with is the
dreaded L1-A.  Who else has experienced this?  What did you do to stop it?

Thanks for your help,

Jim Rudolf
rudolf at oce.orst.edu
College of Oceanography
Oregon State University

[[ I can find no evidence of a previous discussion about this in either
volume 6 or 7. --wnl ]]