Using FrameMaker for forms?

Kemp at dockmaster.arpa Kemp at dockmaster.arpa
Wed Feb 22 16:15:43 AEST 1989

I second Chuck Musciano's motion for a Frame newsgroup (v7n147), but until
then, thanks to wnl for tolerating that discussion here.

Is there a way to create a form in Maker such that the form itself is
protected but the data entry fields can be edited?  We have lots of
complex standard forms that somebody has keyed in, but using them is a
pain because 1) they use very small fonts that are hard to read on a color
screen, and 2) it is not easy to skip from field to field, and 3) it is
easy to damage the form itself when editing, and 4) the completed forms
take up a lot of disk space.  What I would like to do is:

 * Have a simple data entry frorm that is protected from editing damage
   and is easy to read and edit.

 * Use the hypertext capability of Maker 1.3 to have the complex printer
   form get its information from the simple data entry forms.

The only alternative I can think of is to enter field labels in the master
form, save it in MIF format, and use sed to substitute the desired data
for the labels.  This (needless to say) is not the optimal solution.

Any ideas?  Fixed in 1.4?

 Dave Kemp
 Kemp at dockmaster.arpa