Twisted Pair Ethernet--anyone using it

Mark Foster vrdxhq!ogccse!fosterm at uunet.uu.net
Sun Feb 19 13:08:16 AEST 1989

We recently installed Cabletron's MMAC with their AUI interface (two
pairs, unshielded).  It's been great.  We didn't face the situation that
many do, though, since we already had both thick and TP installed -- it's
just that *adding* to the thick had become quite a hassle...

In article <1647 at frame.UUCP> you write:
>If you have it, what do you feel is best about it?
Ease of installation, management, debugging, and extension.

>What is worst about it?
Somewhat locked in to a single vendor for parts -- but this isn't bad as
long as the company is stable.  We've been so impressed with Cabletron's
gear and both their technical and sales responsiveness, that we've started
getting all our ether stuff from them.

>Does it make adding new nodes easier or harder?
MUCH easier if, like lots of buildings, the twisted pair is already
installed.  Even if it's not, stringing TP wiring is typically easier (and
cheaper) than typical thick or thin.

>Do you see any performance bottlenecks with it?
Nope.  There really should never be a "bottleneck" to it, since with
CSMA/CD ether, there is always only one "talker"; the MMAC just has to do
the CD part, then relay bits from a host to the "backbone".

----
Mark Foster
CSE Systems Support
Oregon Graduate Center