reconfiguring Sun386i

Brian Thorstad thorstad at wooglin.scc.com
Tue Feb 28 17:44:43 AEST 1989

Glenn Roberts writes (v7n137):
>There is an interesting command included in /usr/etc on the Sun386i.  The
>command is /usr/etc/unconfigure and it will take your machine back to the
>state it was in when it was new.  I believe that means what it says:
>accounts will be deleted, hosts tables will be wiped out, etc.  This is
>preferable to a reinstall of the software though!  I used unconfigure once
>and it worked fine.

This is mostly correct.  This script attempts to restore the machine to
the state it was in just after being loaded, BUT NOT ALL NEW FILES ARE
DELETED!  Any files you wish to keep can be placed in /files/SAVE, or an
equivalent.

If you are unconfiguring a system, and want to maintain some files, be
aware that the script does a good job of deleting most new stuff you have
added (/exports, /etc, /files/home, ...).  I have used
/usr/etc/unconfigure many times in my lab, experimenting with various 386i
configurations.  Handy script, but it is only a program -- magic would be
required to truly restore the machine to a "like new" state.  Be aware of
the differences if your particular problem does not seem to be resolved by
an "unconfigure".

Brian Thorstad
Contel Federal Systems
(thorstad at wooglin.scc.com)