Some answers for hanging sockets

Eric C. Pearce pearce at tycho.yerkes.uchicago.edu
Fri Feb 3 22:03:06 AEST 1989

This is a well known bug in OS 3.5 which I also encountered.  It goes way
back to a BSD bug that was fixed long ago and not picked up by Sun OS (or
so the story goes).

I know of know way to keep the machine from hanging, accept not to kill
processes that are blocked on an accept of a Unix domain socket.  I used
to always run a dummy client that would connect to the server before
killing the possibly accepting process.

You can always use Inet domain sockets for local communications.  Only
Unix domain sockets have this bug.  Note that INet domain sockets are
about 50% slower (at least in my application).

     - Ecp.