Using maximum swap

Richard Smith smiddy at spam.istc.sri.com
Thu Feb 2 15:37:12 AEST 1989

Hi Ruth,

I suspect that the problem you are running into is not easily solvable.
There is a per process swap limit, as well as a system wide swap limit.
The per process limit, however, is hardwired into more kernel code than
the system wide limit. In particular, it determines the maximum size of
the page table for a process, since the in core memory map must be able to
handle a process of this size if it is not swapped. If I recall correctly,
this particular maximum is hard to change, especially if you do not have
source. Sigh...

Thanks,
Richard Smith
Smiddy at spam.istc.sri.com