using maximum swap

Andrew Gerber salt!pepper!gerber at uunet.uu.net
Fri Feb 3 16:40:08 AEST 1989

>BTW, if you're intending to set up a second swap area on a new disk,
>*don't* make it the first partition. Unlike regular filesystems, swap
>doesn't care about the disk label in 0/0/0, and it will trash it....

I ran into the exact same problem when attempting to put dual swap
partitions on our 4/110.  After the "swapon" command, the entire disk
(sd2) was unreadable.  I had configured the swap partition as the first
partition, and it had wiped the lablel.

Luckily I had a printout of a dkinfo for that disk, rebuild the label with
diag, and everything was OK.  It's a good idea to keep a copy of the
dkinfo's for all your disks around on paper, just in case.

The solution is to set up the first partition containing only one
cylinder, and then put your swap on sd2b.

Andy Gerber