Sound input/output devices for the Sun?

Chin Huang cthuang at watdragon.waterloo.edu
Tue Feb 14 08:34:14 AEST 1989

Our group is experimenting with multimedia information systems.  This
involves the presentation of documents composed of text, graphics, sound,
etc.

In addition to a number of Sun 3's, we have an IBM AT which has an
interface card containing analog to digital and digital to analog
converters.  The IBM AT is connected to the local network through thin
wire Ethernet and it services requests through TCP/IP to record and play
digitized sound samples send to and from a Sun.

Obviously, we can't output good quality sound when the network load is
high.  The solution will probably require a dedicated data communications
line between a Sun and the sound input/output device.  I would like
information on products, perhaps plug-in boards for a Sun 3/160, that can
be used to upgrade our system.

Thanks in advance.

cthuang at watdragon.uwaterloo.ca
cthuang at watdragon.waterloo.edu