Video output from workstations

Randy M. Rohrer rmr at mimsy.umd.edu
Tue Feb 14 08:14:02 AEST 1989

Any suggestions out there for low cost, relatively low quality video
production?

Our environment includes a variety of workstations such as Sun, Apollo,
SGI, etc. We are looking for a good way of making our own videotapes
directly from these workstations. We think that VHS-quality is sufficient
(although we may be disappointed).

We are currently perusing the market place for real-time digital scan
converters that convert RGB signals to video output.

Offerings have been found from Lyon-Lamb, RGB Technologies, and YEM
(Yamashita Engineering Manufacture, distributed in US by Grunder and
Associates). In general, they run about $12,000 - $20,000 depending on
features and quality.

This project is currently a research project so initially low quality
might be ok. We may eventually like to go to higher quality recording
devices and formats.

Has anybody had any experience with these products or or other products
which you would like to share? Are there better methods available? Will we
be sorely disappointed in quality going from 1024 scan lines to ~512 ?

Any help, comments, or re-direction would be appreciated.

	Thanks,
	Randy Rohrer