Details of yppasswd and portmapper protocols?

Clitheron pc at mcc.com
Thu Feb 23 02:21:20 AEST 1989

i am trying to implement some password security on the LISP machines where
i work, and not wishing to reinvent the wheel, i thought i would try to
use the yppasswd things from SUN.  Unfortunately, not being a UNIX wizard,
i have groped through some manuals and been unable to find exact details
of how the yppasswd protocol works.

I think i can ask rpcinfo to provide me with a UDP port number whihc a
ypserver is using for the yppasswd service, but exactly which bytes get
send down that port when a user logs in are not clear (to me at least).

Could some kind soul point me to the appropriate manual or source code to
look at for this info?  Oh, also some help on the protocol for the
portmapper service would be appreciated also, rather than my having to
hunt around for the source to rpcinfo...

thanks greatly.

Could replies be mailed to me at pc at ctt.bellcore.com, rather than to this
account at MCC (i'm a guest here), or to the newsgroup, which i don't
read.

pc

pc at ctt.bellcore.com