Sun 3 console question

Casey Leedom casey at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Wed Feb 22 18:36:56 AEST 1989

erickson at frith.egr.msu.edu (Carl B. Erickson):
> Can someone point me to the fix that has been discussed for using a
> terminal as the console on a Sun 3?  I believe this involved a small
> circuit of some sort.

This brings a question up to the top of my queue that I've been meaning to
ask for months.  Nearly two years now in fact:

We use standard ascii terminals as the consoles of all our file servers.
After the systems have been up for a while, the terminals lock up and we
haven't figured out how to break them out of that mode.  This happens
reliably on two 3/180s and a 3/280 running SUN OS 3.4, and two 3/280s
running SUN OS 3.5 on a whole variety of terminals.

The file servers are still running and we can log into them across the net
without any problems.  But if we want to use the console, the only way
we've been able to come up with is to reboot the servers.

Whenever I mention this problem to a Sun person they just look blankly at
me.  I can't believe it's unique to us.  All five of our servers have
exactly the same problem.

Is this the problem that Carl was referring to above?  And if so, is there
indeed a fix???  I had resigned myself that Sun just didn't know how to
design an RS232 interface.

Casey