Want CONSOLE messages written to a file, need help

Andy Cowan cowan at edsews.eds.com
Wed Feb 22 18:57:06 AEST 1989

I would like to get all my console messages written to a file.  Now, I
know there's syslog which is supposed to take care of logging system
messages, but I would like ALL messages written to the console to be
written out.  This includes SU, writes, talks, etc...any text that appears
in the console.

>From what I've seen so far syslog can't do this for me.  Perhaps I'm not
setting it up correctly?

Any ideas out there?  Do I need to write a program that issues ioctls to
the console device, to take over its output?  Or is there a less drastic
method?

Aside: Today, in Detroit, its about 20 degrees, overcast, miserable
wet snow falling, wind out of the sw gusting to 20 mph...
	Andy Cowan     cowan at edsews.eds.com

[[ Everything?  That's a little hard.  About the only way that I can think
of doing that is to get a terminal with an "AUX" port and attach another
line to the AUX port.  Then disable the getty on that line and run a
daemon that just reads data from the line and stores it in a file.  You
also have to make sure that the AUX port (on the terminal) is enabled.  Of
course, this won't work during a reboot.  --wnl ]]