Help with swapon(8)

Micky Liu micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
Wed Feb 22 19:17:16 AEST 1989

I have a Sun 3/140 running SunOS 3.5 with two disk drives.  Previously I
had the kernal configured to use swap partitions on both drives with
something like "swap on sd0 and sd2"...  Lately, (with some other
problems) I thought it would be nice if I could actually boot off of
either drive seperately, but under normal operations I would still like to
have a swap area on both drives.

My plan was to rebuild the kernal with "swap generic" and just add a
"swapon -a" in my rc.local.  When I do this, however, I get something
like: /dev/sd2b no device...

nAny clues?  If I try to invoke "swapon /dev/sd2b" directly I get some
block device error...

If I ever get this part to work, what portions of the root are absolutely
necessary to have my Sun boot?

Thanx,

Micky Liu

  arpa: micky at cunixc.cc.columbia.edu
  uucp: ...!rutgers!columbia!eastend!m-liu
bitnet: malua at cuvmc