Printer connections on Sun's

Robert Rodriguez pacbell!pttesac!rgrodrig at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 3 19:01:26 AEST 1989

auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net (Guy Harris) writes:
> >What I want to happen, is to be able to send any and all characters to the
> >printer without losing the tail end.
>
> Run something from "/etc/rc.local" that opens the serial port for the
> printer and holds it open.  There's a problem with closes on streams
> devices that causes XON/XOFF flow control to go away while output is still
> queued.  One of the 4.0.1 patches may purport to fix this.

I pulled my hair out for a week over this problem.

The purported 4.0.1 fix didn't work for me (Sun3/260, Citoh3500 on ttya).

Sun *DOES* have the answer!  I called the hotline, a software engineer,
Ray Jang (I think) sent me a 4.0.1.a patch tape.  This tape had fixes for
the serial tty driver in the kernel.  The printer works perfectly.

Robert Rodriguez
(415) 545-8313
pacbell!pttesac!robert