Sunflower memory extension boards for 3/50

Daniel Phaneuf phaneuf at ireqs3.uucp
Fri Feb 3 18:41:16 AEST 1989

As requested, here is some information on Sunflower Microsystems memory
extension boards along with the experience we have had with them.

0. Introduction:

   We bought two 4MBytes memory extension boards from Sunflower in
   December 88.  Since we really wanted them badly (we were running
   SunOS4.0) they shipped us prototypes. We were told that they would
   replace them with the final ones as soon as they would be available.
   They also mentionned that in the case where we would like to keep the
   prototypes,  the three-year limited warranty would still apply. We
   decided to keep them.

1. Reliability issues:

   Even thought it is quite early to talk about it, the two 3/50 upgraded
   systems have been performing reliably 24 hours a day without a single
   problem.

2. Installation:

   After browsing through the documentation and getting acquainted with
   the tools they provide (PLCC and IC removers + hex key), it took me
   less than 15 minutes to install the board. There is absolutely NO
   SOLDERING OR DESOLDERING operations involved, thus the product is 100%
   reversible.  Briefly, the operation consists in:

            a. Transfering two gate-arrays from the CPU board to the
               memory extension board.
            b. Removing 4 IC's from the CPU board and saving them for
               reversability purposes.
            c. Attaching and fastening the expansion board onto the
               CPU board.

   There is also a jumper to remove on the CPU board if you install the 8
   MBytes board.

   After reinstalling the CPU board into the chassis and powering-up the
   system, all you have to do is change two entries in the EEPROM to
   indicate the total amount of memory in the system (optional). You are
   now ready to reboot.

3. Features and technical specifications:

   There are 3 models available, the SF0MX (without DRAMs), the SF4MX (4
   MBytes) and the SF8MX(8 MBytes). They use low-power 1 Megabyte CMOS DIP
   SIMM technology and have circuitry for parity generation and checking.
   As for power consumption, the SF[0,4]MX and the SF8MX are drawing
   respectively 0.7 AMPS and 1.3 AMPS on the +5VDC supply. Beware though,
   those specs are "typical specs" meaning that the boards can draw more
   current under some circumstances.  From the specs I have, the Sun-3/50
   power supply will provide: 15 AMPS on +5VDC, 1.3 AMPS on +12VDC and 2.0
   AMPS on -5.2VDC.  The Sun-3/50 CPU board #501-1112 requires: 13.5 AMPS
   on +5VDC, 0.5 AMPS on +12VDC and 0.8 AMPS on -5.2VDC. To conclude, it
   might be safe to upgrade your 3/50 to 8 MBytes but for 12 MBytes...

4. Sun Customer Support:

   We were told that for a reversible add-on product, Sun would continue
   to support the Sun systems and parts but that the customer must
   properly install/deinstall the add-on product for service to be
   performed.

5. Pricing (U.S. funds, quantity 1-10):

   - SF0MX 0 MBytes (same as SF4MX without DRAMs)    795.00
   - SF4MX 4 MBytes Memory expansion board          2195.00
   - SF8MX 8 MBytes Memory expansion board          3995.00

For more informations about pricing and availability contact:

             Sunflower Microsystems
             1684 Marco Drive
             San Jose, CA 95131-2444
             Phone:(408) 291-8767
             Fax:(408) 452-8442

The Hydro-Quebec Research Institute has no relationship with Sunflower
Microsystems other than being a client.

   Daniel Phaneuf
   System Administrator
   Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec, (Hydro-Quebec Research Institute)
   1800   Montee  Ste-Julie,   Varennes,   P. Quebec,   Canada,   J0L 2P0
   Tel.:   514-652-8074           Fax.:  514-652-8180
UUCP:   ...ireqs3!phaneuf
      phaneuf at ireqs3.uucp