help with <exiting> zombies

Chris Elvin celvin%ee.surrey.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 9 10:36:45 AEST 1989

Here's a suggestion for people who encounter these sub-zombie processes.
We occasionally get these on our Gould PN6032 (but not on our SUN's) from
directly wired terminals i.e.  not those accessed via telnet PADs.  We
usually find that unplugging the terminal lead from the back of the CPU
box cures the problem, but strangely enough unplugging at the terminal end
has no effect.  This may be due to handshaking pins being shorted at one
end or other of the cable but I'm not sure.  Hope this is of help to
somebody.

	C.
--

Christopher Elvin,
Computer Systems
   Support Officer,              Network Address : celvin at ee.surrey.ac.uk
Dept. of Electronic and          Telephone       : +44 483 571281  ext. 9104
   Electrical Engineering        Direct line     : +44 483 509104
University of Surrey,            Telex           : +44 859331
Guildford,                       Fax             : +44 483 300803
Surrey, GU2 5XH.