PostScript Previewers for Sunview

Roy Smith phri!roy at philabs.philips.com
Wed Feb 22 12:53:49 AEST 1989

dclassen at vulture.bcm.tmc.edu writes (in Volume 7, Issue 149, message 8 of 13):
> I am looking for a PostScript previewer for SunView [...] I know about NeWS

At the NeWS tutorial at the recent USENIX, a neat NeWS hack was mentioned
call ps2bits.  The general idea is that you run the regular NeWS server
but give it a special init file which makes it produce a raster file on
output instead of running a window system.  I havn't had a chance to play
with it yet, but it seems like it would be straight-forward to write an
application of the psview flavor which takes your PostScript document,
feeds it through ps2bits and then pr_load()s the resulting raster file(s)
into a suntools window.

I believe the source for ps2bits is available from the news archive server
at sun; send mail to "archive-server at sun.com" with a subject of "help" to
get started.  I'm doing this from memory, so I may have botched some of
the details, but it's essentially correct.

Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute
{allegra,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers}!phri!roy -or- phri!roy at uunet.uu.net