Stack space with Sunos 4.0?

c.m.chase nvuxr!cmc3 at bellcore.bellcore.com
Sun Feb 19 14:08:47 AEST 1989

I have a Sun 4/110 running OS 4.0 (with most of the 4.0.1 bug fixes
applied).  I have a color monitor and I'm running X11 Release 3.

I have noticed that when I try to compile the code in
server/cfb/cfbbitblt.c the optimizer does not work (by the way, I'm using
cc.  gcc, version 1.33, just doesn't seem to work with my configuration).

I CAN do:
'cc -c -O1 ... [lots of -I options] cfbbitblt.c'
which does a  moderate amount of optimization,

but I can NOT do:
'cc -c -O ... [lots of -I options] cfbbitblt.c'
which is the same as -O2 (I think) and does some more hefty optimizing.

The error message is:
cc -c -O -DPURDUE -I. -I../../include -I../../../../../../../../usr/local/pkg/X1
1/src/X11 -I../mfb -DINCLUDE_ALLOCA_H  cfbbitblt.c
Routine  _cfbDoBitblt  too big:
        use a lower level of optimization or
        increase stack limit and / or
        size of swap space

compiler(iropt) error:  alloca: out of memory
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target cfbbitblt.o'

How can I increase the stack limit?  Swap space doesn't seem to be the
issue (I tried doing the compile on another machine which has over
40Mbytes of swap, and it made no difference).

Any suggestions?  Has anyone had success with the GNU compiler on a SPARC
machine compiling X?

Sorry, almost forgot, the X source I'm using is Release 3 patched through
fix 3 and has both purdue and purdue+ applied.

Thanks

Craig Chase

cmc3 at nvuxr.bellcore.com