STBs and Lost Shipments

Kemp at dockmaster.arpa Kemp at dockmaster.arpa
Wed Feb 15 01:09:17 AEST 1989

Thanks to Doug Moran (v7n146) for the very illuminating discussion of
software maintenance problems.  Like his organization, we have a single
maintenance contract with Sun, however the contract has multiple
"Exhibits" (work groups).  Each Exhibit has a list of machine serial
numbers and a primary and an alternate point of contact, and each should
in theory get a copy of STBs and upgrade tapes.

This sounds like the proper way to get around the "1 contract, 1 STB"
situation, but the bugs still aren't worked out yet.

I am the alternate POC for a group of 10 machines; our maintenance
contract began on October 1; and I still don't have a single STB or the
4.0.1 tapes.  (We borrowed a copy of the tape from another group).  The
local Sun critters are very earnest and are trying to help, and the latest
word is that the local sales office will get the stuff and deliver it to
us personally, but it hasn't happened yet.  Sigh.

   Kemp at DOCKMASTER.ARPA (Dave Kemp)