Hardcopy of console system

ted at braggvax.arpa ted at braggvax.arpa
Sat Jan 21 08:47:23 AEST 1989

>From:    Danielle Heinzer <ESC1298 at ESOC.BITNET>
>I would like to have a hardcopy of the system console (either the window
>system console, and the monitor when not in window mode). And this for any
>window system (SunView, NeWS, X-Windows).

Well, I'm 99% certain I can't reply to that address, so:

How about this?  If you just want the output that normally comes to
/dev/console to come to your vt100:

1) Leave the prom alone, and enable a getty on the port your terminal is on.

2) Login on the terminal, do
		script /dev/null
   to get a pty.

3) Run a program which does a TIOCCONS ioctl on fd 0,1 or 2.  This switches
   /dev/console to your pty.  Start screen print mode on your terminal.

4) Never open a Consoletool in your window system.

This isn't ideal, (doesn't work in single user, have to log in and start
after reboot etc), but it is pretty easy, and should work.  I've done
something similar to get at kernel printfs remotely when using the
"trapopen" code I posted a while back.

	Ted Nolan
	ted at braggvax.arpa

[[ Actually, sending mail to the Bitnet is not hard from an Internet site.
Simply mail it to "user%site.bitnet at cunyvm.cuny.edu".  I should probably
use that explicit Internet address in the From field when the original
address ends in ".bitnet".  --wnl ]]