nfs over a "slow" network

Dean Grover ird grover at sed170.hac.com
Sat Jan 21 07:47:02 AEST 1989

I have a Sun 4/260 running 4.0 which mounts a directory from another Sun
4/260 (4.0) over a VERY slow network interface.  The problem: when I try
and copy a large file (1 Mb) to the NFS partition, I sometimes get
"timeout" errors.  The question: what is the best mount parameter to
change ?  Or will any of that help?  I have used "timeo=30" as a pure
random guess, and this seems to be ok.  My /etc/fstab entry looks like
this:

sun1:/usera /usera ... nfs rw,soft,bg,timeo=30 0 0

Our reasoning for using a soft mount is that we don't want our server to
hang it the other server goes down.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dean Grover
Hughes Aircraft Company