OS 4.0, YP, and named (hel

sysrick at cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu sysrick at cfht.cfht.hawaii.edu
Thu Jan 19 14:58:56 AEST 1989

We are trying to start up a domain name server with little luck. We have
been running YP fine under 4.0 for about 6 months. I have setup a
nameserver as per the Sun instructions and have restarted ypserv as ypserv
-i.  I have also create /etc/resolve.conf with our internet domain in it
and the internet address of the name server (our internet and YP domains
differ)

Tests using nslookup are fine except that nslookup starts up thinking our
internet domain == YP domain.

The problem comes when a telnet or ftp tries to access a host name not in
YP hosts -- get "unknown hostname xxxxx" even though nslookup can find it.
One question (among many) is -- what triggers the host lookup to go from
YP to using the name server ?

 Rick McGonegal			INTERNET	sysrick at cfht.hawaii.edu
 C.F.H.T. Corp.
 PO Box 1597 Kamuela