Problem with interfacing YP and BIND

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Fri Jan 27 13:28:43 AEST 1989

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to use the name server outside the
Internet.  IP packets that go via the Arpanet aren't a different color.
However the name server software is designed to work in an environment
that has a hierarchical collection of name servers, starting with the
infamous root server.  So you can't just set up your local servers the way
you would here.  You have to set up your own root server.  There are
problems getting 4.0 to talk to named.  But they have been solved, and Sun
should be able to give you the package

b. as to your second question, we have 4.0_Export source.  (There is no
domestic source, apparently.)  As far as I can see, most of the
differences between 4.0 and 4.0_Export are in libc.  (1) They aren't going
to affect anything relevant to named and (2) I'll bet the named update
package on uunet has the domestic version of named.

I understand that Sun made a real effort at getting rid of the
lobotomization for 4.0, and came close to getting it done.  That's a good
sign I think.  I've always thought that they should just move their
software operation to Australia, since as far as I know there's no problem
getting this stuff into the U.S., just out.  I note that MKS in Canada is
now shipping clones of the Unix crypt for MS/DOS, and maybe also for
System V running on PC's.  With the increasing importance of secure
communications, the U.S. government is coming under increasing pressure on
this issue.  Many Unix vendors are doing half their business outside the
U.S.  They are not going to be able to compete with non-U.S. vendors if
they have to remove all their security technology outside the U.S.  I
think you're going to see movement on this issue in the future.