Problem with interfacing YP and BIND

Mark Prior munnari!sirius.ua.oz.au!mrp at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jan 27 13:08:36 AEST 1989

> In v7n111, Mark Prior writes:
> >I am trying to get YP to talk to Bind and of course it doesn't work!
>
> >We are not connected to the DDN Internet [ yes I know it's not a supported
> >configuration ] but what difference should that make?
>
> One problem you'll surely run into is that the BIND software wants to
> talk to a root server as it starts up.  Without a DDN connection, that
> will fail, of course.

We are a standalone network, we only want to talk to ourselves with IP (we
use ACSnet to talk to the world) so the fact that we cannot connect to a
root server doesn't matter. For our purposes WE are the root server.

We have the libc_resolv.so patch that removes YP completely and we have no
troubles (yet) but previous to that we were running the nameserver for the
benefit of our Annex and Bridge terminal servers (I am also using the MX
version of sendmail) and they were quiet happy.  This would indicate to me
that the nameserver is configured correctly for our purposes, we just
couldn't get YP to talk to it properly when it was in the way.

Mark.
--
Mark Prior                              Phone : +61 8 228 5680
University Computing Services           Telex : UNIVAD AA89141
GPO Box 498 Adelaide S.AUSTRALIA 5001   ACSnet: mrp at sirius.ua.oz