Problem with interfacing YP and BIND

Mark Prior munnari!sirius.ua.oz.au!mrp at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jan 25 20:14:16 AEST 1989

>                            Under SunOS V4.0, this was changed.  Now
> you must modify the yp makefile (/var/yp/Makefile) to do a makedbm -b
> when the hosts database is made.  However, due to the ypserv bug,
> the server still does not contact the named.  When I was running V4.0
> I received a fixed ypserv from Sun Tech Support; I believe the problem
> is fixed in SunOS V4.0.1.

We have the `fix' but it doesn't work for us, Sun's reason for this is
that it is not a supported configuration since we are not connected to THE
internet. Never mind the fact that our internet contains 100+ hosts in
numerous otherwise independent sites. They obviously expect us to use YP
to manage it!

All I can conclude from this reasoning is that a Sun cannot be used as a
root nameserver (so much for `the network is the computer').

Mark.
--
Mark Prior                              Phone : +61 8 228 5680
University Computing Services           Telex : UNIVAD AA89141
GPO Box 498 Adelaide S.AUSTRALIA 5001   ACSnet: mrp at sirius.ua.oz