Problem with interfacing YP and BIND

Joe Garbarino jgarb at erim.org
Wed Jan 25 19:54:10 AEST 1989

The problems associated with setting up interaction between yp and the
name server is twofold; inadequate documentation from Sun (the biggest
problem) and a bug in SunOS V4.0 ypserv.

Under SunOS V3.5, interacting with the named required staring up the yp
server with ypserv -i.  Under SunOS V4.0, this was changed.  Now you must
modify the yp makefile (/var/yp/Makefile) to do a makedbm -b when the
hosts database is made.  However, due to the ypserv bug, the server still
does not contact the named.  When I was running V4.0 I received a fixed
ypserv from Sun Tech Support; I believe the problem is fixed in SunOS
V4.0.1.

documentation (just one? ;-) the description of the named explains how to
set it up but not how to talk to it!!!

	Joe Garbarino
	ERIM
	P.O Box 8618