Tape drive problems...

Jeff Weber ulowell.uucp!cg-atla!weber at bbn.com
Thu Jan 12 15:46:38 AEST 1989

In article <495.wert.rosetta at Rosetta.com> you write:
>I have a Sun with a shoebox(1) with a 70mb disk in it and another
>shoebox(2) with a 70mb disk and a 1/4" cartridge tape.
>1) Figure out how to specify my tape drive to the prom (and standalone
>copy). This will take the form "b st(,x,)" for what x?

	b st(5,0,0) might work
		    ^^^^^
>2) Make the tape drive be SCSI id 4. How? It is a Sysgen controller, with
>a dip switch on the upper left edge of the board, with switches numbers 1
>through 4. Currently 1 and 3 are on, 2 and 4 are off.

Turn switch 1 off.  This will get you to SCSI target 4.  When you install
3.5OS you'll see a st1 @ SCSI target 5.  Helical tape will work just fine
there.

>3) Do the install from a remote tape drive. This appears to be much harder
>than you might think.

Yes, that's true.

Go with standard config.  Things get much better.