Upgrading to 4.0.1 on Sun386i

Glenn Roberts gfr at cobra.mitre.org
Wed Jan 18 10:44:45 AEST 1989

> "I manage a network of 11 Sun 386i machines ... According to the <4.0.1>
> upgrade documentation, I'm going to have to reenter the account
> information for 200 accounts via SNAP ... Will I break anything if
> I just restore /etc/passwd, /etc/auto.home, and the like from tape
> and remake the YP server?"

I agree the 4.0.1 upgrade procedure is lousy.  The manual suggests backing
up /etc "as a precaution" and says that "you will not normally need to
restore any of the files on this diskette" !  WHAT ? !!!!  Other Sun
upgrade instructions have done a much better job here, telling you what
files need to be saved and restored.

I had to rebuild all this account stuff.  I did it by hand (didn't use
SNAP).  If you're familiar with Sun system administration you should be
able to do this by saving and restoring the files in /etc but I haven't
tried this.  Be sure and familiarize yourself with the material in
"Sun386i Advanced Administration" - which tells you how to do manually the
stuff SNAP tries to do for you.

- Glenn Roberts, The MITRE Corp., McLean VA (703) 883-6820
  gfr at cobra.mitre.org