Dos on the 386i (terminal emulation)

Lars Povlsen krus at diku.dk
Thu Mar 30 18:16:27 AEST 1989

Recently I had to bring up a library system (running under dos) on a Sun
Roadrunner.

I had no problem running it under Sunview/Dos Windows, but when trying to
run the same applications on a tty with dos -w (dos without windows), the
dos shell came to a halt, without producing a single char of output.

The application (bought, no source) starts in the usual PC manner,
creating a nice double box around some text, offering a choice.  It uses
NO graphics (other than graphic chars) or special boards/mouses or other
woodoo. And, again it runs without problems under sunview (double boxes
an' all).

So my question is: Does anyone have a clue to whether I have a chance in
running from an ordinary terminal, or I have to move the goddam console &
chassis to our library and teach our librarian about sunview. Not to
mention I would have a big problem in putting it on a network there.

Other UNIX/dos emulations I have heard of, such as Vp/IX, can map graphics
char to a approximation on a tty. Sun does not mention neither
restrictions nor features when running dos on a tty.

Clues or information anyone ?

			Lars Povlsen,
			Comp. Science Departement, University of Copenhagen
			Denmark