Using a sun386i with a trailblazer+ modem?

francis%catuc.UUCP at arizona.edu francis%catuc.UUCP at arizona.edu
Tue Mar 7 19:21:09 AEST 1989

I am trying to decide if the Telebit Trailblazer Plus can work with our
Sun 386i at the speed of 19,200 bps.  Does any one use this modem with a
386i at full speed?  Telebit is running a 50% off sale (45% for 30 days
NET) to uunet members for up to two Trailblazer Pluses (some restrictions
apply, contact Telebit Corp @ 800-TELEBIT or contact UUNET at the email
address: uunet-request at uunet.UU.NET).  The catch is that there is no
evaluation period for this offer.  So, I would like to make sure it works
at full speed.

I know, for SunOs 4.0.1, that there is a fix for sun 3's and 4's to allow
19.2 kbaud available from tech support, something like "TTY patch tape
5.4".  Does anyone know of such a fix for a sun 386i?

The Trailblazer Plus looks attractive since it can be upgraded to a T2500
for ~ $400 later this year.  The T2500 modem (which is discussed in EE
Times dated February 20, 1989 on page 110) seems to talk the high-speed
protocols of various other modems on the market.

Anyway, any first hand experience would be helpful.

Francis Sullivan
Computer Automation, Tucson, AZ
...!hao!noao!arizona!catuc!francis
catuc!francis at arizona.edu