modem on the serial port?

Bob Pellegrino bob at deep-thought.prime.com
Tue Mar 7 19:00:58 AEST 1989

Does anyone know how to put a modem on the serial port of a 386i?

Sun's standard response is to use SNAP, which would be great except that
you cannot use SNAP if you are a yellow page client.

I've tried modifying my kernel the way that I did for my 3/50 modem, but
that doesn't seem to work.  I get "ALL PORTS BUSY", which could mean any
number of things, including a bad cable.  Do I need a nul modem cable or
different kernel mods?

By the way, chalk another one up for the Sun hotline....
	Me:  Could someone please tell me how to add a modem to a 386i
	     when you can't use SNAP?  (I explain that SNAP is disallowed
	     in the case of Yellow Page clients)

	Sun: We'll get back to you.

	(later)
	Sun:  Hi, you ordered a service call to have a modem installed?
		   (no, i asked for information...)
	      Well, the way you do that is just use SNAP.
	            (*sigh*)

Bob Pellegrino
bob at deep-thought.prime.com
(508) 879-2960 x4276