Adding devices to a 386i?

Steve Tynor tynor%pyr at gatech.edu
Tue Mar 7 18:40:48 AEST 1989

1) I'd like to buy a used (read inexpensive) 40-90M SCSI drive to my 386i. I
   understand that Sun's format program will not format just any SCSI drive.
   I've been advised to buy another CDC WrenIII, but I can't find a reasonably
   priced one. Best price is $950 (new). I'd like to find a used one at ~$600.
   Can anyone suggest where I might find one?  Has anyone been successful at
   formatting another brand drive on the 386i (Seagate, Maxtor, Micropolis,
   etc)?

2) My local sales rep has hinted that it would be possible to buy a cheap
   PC/AT cartridge tape drive and install it in the 386i as a Unix tape
   device. (He said that there was a PD device driver available to do just
   this). Can anyone give me details?

    Steve Tynor
    Georgia Tech Research Institute
    tynor at gitpyr.gatech.edu